dt. Version

Bad Gastein  
Bad Hofgastein  
Dorfgastein  
Flattach  
Großkirchheim  
Mallnitz  
Obervellach  
Rauris  

Sitemap
Via Aurea
The area
Glimpses
Adventures
News
Pictures
Presse
Infos
Home
Via Aurea - Rauris
 
Rauris

 
Tourismusverband Rauris
A-5661 Rauris, Kirchplatz 1

Tel. +43(0)6544-20022  |  Fax: +43(0)6544-20022-6030  
   
info@raurisertal.at  |  sommer.raurisertal.at 
 


   

Säumerstation - Rauriser Reiterhof

SÄUMERSTATION (animal packing station)

Rauriser Reiterhof - Josef Strasser - Nigglgut

A-5661 Rauris, Kirchbichlweg 8
Tel.: +43-6544-8115, Fax: +43-6544-8115-4

www.reiterhof-nigglgut.at
reiterhof@rauris.at


Observatorium Sonnblick

OBSERVATORY SONNBLICK

The meteorological observatory at the Hoher Sonnblick goes back to the initiative of Ignaz Rojacher in its beginnings.
In the meantime it has become a Europe-wide recognized institution.

Excellent tourist accommodation is nowadays available for
the mountain climbers next to weather station operated the whole year round.


Berghaus am Goldberg

MINING HOUSE AT THE GOLDBERG

In the left lower part of the picture a big house can be recognized: the mining house at the Rauriser Goldberg, at an altitude of 2340 m above sea-level.

It had been regarded as the highest, permanently inhabited building of the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy for a long time.
In the early 16th century the most active mining business took place there.


altes Radhaus am Hocharn

ALTES RADHAUS / OLD WHEEL HOUSE WITH HOCHARN

Old wheel house with HOCHARN in the foreground, whose open rear part represents a 'quarry'. There the ore, which was 'slowed down' from the high Goldberg mining house (2340m)
on the 'braking mountain' (fragmentary to be seen on the right side). In the background the Hocharn and the Goldzeche.

There were galleries up to a height of approx. 3100 m sea
level on the two mountains in the 16th century.


Aufzugsruine

ELEVATOR RUIN

Today, only ruins are left of the head station of the elevator machine at 2170m sea -level. An embankment leads down to the ruins, the 'braking mountain', on which the ores of the Goldberg (2340m) were transported down in small wagons.

In the background the majestic massif of the Hocharn.


altes Radhaus

OLD WHEELHOUSE

In 2170 m sea level south above Kolm-Saigurn you find the remains of the former "elevator machine", which was constructed by the chief art master Joseph Gainschnigg .
The picture shows the "engine" of the plant.

With the help of the waterwheel (11 m of diameter) and a rope drum, a 1.4 km long hemp rope was unrolled slowly and so a big wheel barrow was drawn up.
The plant was in operation from 1832 to 1897.


Kolm Saigurn

KOLM SAIGURN

In Kolm-Saigurn, in the innermost Rauris Valley, there was the "valley station" of the elevator machine, whose wooden trails led up across the rock barrier .

In the foreground the Kolm (the ore dressing plant with stamp mill and stope furnace) with adjoining buildings. Evidence for the name "Saichkurn", which doesn't come from the Slavonic and has with absolte certainty nothing to do with with copper smelting technique of the 'Seigern' (liquation), can be produced first in 1420, to be more precise as "Saichkurn".

Only in the 16th century the part 'Kolm' was added to the name, because at this time several 'Kolme' (pistons) were built.


Rauriser Tauernhaus

RAURISER TAUERNHAUS

Documentary evidence of the Rauris Tauernhaus at the end of Seidelwinkel Valley had been given for about half a millennium.

For centuries it had been the starting point for the crossing of the Bluter Tauern (today: Hochtor). The "Tauernwirt" (innkeeper) had the "tapping right", he was allowed to serve drinks, however, had to meet quite a number of obligations in return for this privilege: to accommodate and feed travellers without means, if necessary to accompany those who did not know the way and above all, maintain the paths across the Tauern in a passable state.

Today the Tauernhaus is a hiking destination, which can be highly recommended to everybody who is interested.


Rauriser Goldberg

THE RAURIS GOLDBERG

The name 'Goldberg' for the mountain massif from the Filzenscharte to the Neunerkogel. (= "Herzog Ernst") and to
the south west to the 'Alteck' (today) had been mentioned in literature since the 16th century .

Documented for the first time in 1427, this is the central area
of the Rauris gold mining.


Zimmererhütte

RAURISER VALLEY MUSEUM / ZIMMERERHÜTTE

Guided Tours through the museum
(10-12 and 16-18 hours), except Thursday (holiday)

Nationalpark Information Point Zimmererhütte in
Kolm-Saigurn (10-12 and 13-16 hours)


Goldzechkopf

GOLDZECHKOPF FROM THE SOUTH

In the area of the Goldzeche the mining industry had already been documented since 1476, probably much earlier. So the Fleiß Valley leading to the Goldzeche had been mentioned since 1338 as an extraction place for gold.

The galleries were situated very high, so that inside in the mountain during drifting works the province border marked by a rocky ridge was traversed - intentionally or unintentionally- and building works entered into the province of Salzburg.

The mining at the Goldzeche, between 2700 and 2925 meters sea level, was regarded for a long time as the highest of the Eastern Alps. The life of the miners was very hard, especially
in winter and the danger of avalanches omnipresent.